Imagination, creativity, thinking and social skills are some of the things a kid gains from an interesting and challenging activity. There are different types of activities with varying benefits to the kids; take for instance a game like ‘Create an animal mask‘ which, as the name suggests, involves making animal masks using different colored papers. This activity, apart from being interesting and an activity that makes your child happy, also helps to spark your child’s creativity and encourage their artistic imagination with activities for kids.
Craft Activities for Kids
There are other kids’ activities that are based on different themes. Some are classified under scientific experiment, brain teaser and one that is based on pure fun. Here are some activities for kids that are interesting and fun.
Creative & Pocket Friendly Activities For Kids
You do not need to spend a lot of money to make you kid happy. All you have to do is to think outside the box.
Learning is a continuous process and, incorporating some learning activities into kid activities is fundamental to improving cognitive skills. There are several activities that are fun and educational, e.g. making colorful butterflies, pasta pictures, egg carton spider, papier-mâché glue, etc. These activities involve the use of shapes, colors and numbers.
Egg Carton Spider
Creating egg carton spiders is an activity that involves creating a cool creepy egg carton spider. You kids will definitely love to learn how to make these hairy creatures. To make them you will need a paint brush, black paint, egg carton, skewer, black pipe cleaners, googly eyes, scissors and white craft glue. Once you have all these materials gathered up you can then begin making the spider.
- Cut the egg carton into individual eggs cups.
- With a pencil make 8 holes (4 on each side) at bottom edge of the egg cup. These holes are for the (pipe cleaners) legs.
- Paint the egg cups black and let them dry before inserting the pipe cleaner through one hole to emerge through the hole on the opposite side.
- Bend the legs to form the knees, attach the googly eyes and you have your spider ready to pounce. Demonstrate this and let the kids try to create their own.
All little girls love fairies and the idea of creating a fairy wand will make them beam with excitement. You can help you kid create a magical fairy wand using some sheets of card stock, pencils, scissors, glue, glitter, wood spoon, ribbon and stapler:
- Draw 2 stars bigger than the head of the spoon on a piece of card stock.
- Cut them, apply a thin layer of glue and sprinkle glitter on one side of each star. Let them dry.
- Glue the 2 stars on a wooden spoon, one on each side.
- Cut different lengths of colored ribbons.
- Staple the ribbons together between the two stars then staple the two stars together, including the ribbons, so they cover the spoon and you are ready to cast spells.
There are several other activities you can let you kids do using papers and other readily available materials. e.g. Musical jars, paper darts, treasure hunts, etc. Remember, a person’s dreams and ambitions begin in early childhood; therefore, giving you kids the right platform to explore their imagination and creativity is helping them discover who they want to be later in life.